This page provides a number of resources that may be helpful as we continue to adapt to the ongoing pandemic. CMSM staff are updating this page on a regular basis. We invite members to send additional resources that may be helpful to your brother provincials.
IMPORTANT: July 1, 2020 letter from CICLSAL re the use of telecommunications for formal meetings of a major superior with his council. Telecommunications is not allowed for General and Provincial Chapter, "but only by means of physical presence."
Mental Health in Time of a Pandemic
A video mini-series from CMSM in partnership with these treatment and education centers and their experts. Each presentation is approximately 15-20 minutes long:
- Saint Luke Institute: Emily Cash, Psy.D., | handout
- Saint John Vianney Center: David Shellenberger, RN, BSN
- Southdown Institute: Eran Talitman, Ph.D.
- Guest House: Rev. Mark Stelzer, STD, M-RAS
- NEW (4/22): Free downloadable prayer book, Strong in the Face of Tribulation (scroll down the page for all language options), with prayers, papal homilies, etc. for this time of crisis, available in English, Spanish, French and (soon) Portuguese
- Mass in Time of Pandemic (multiple languages; English begins on page 8 and Spanish on page 6
- Urbi et Orbi Blessing and Plenary Indulgence (March 27): Video of the prayer service and text of the Holy Father's meditation
- Text of the prayer to Our Lady, Health of the Sick
- Vatican Decree on Holy Week and Easter: Cardinal Robert Sarah released guidelines for the celebration of liturgies: See the updated decree (March 25)
- Privacy and Transparency if a Member is Infected: RCRI has posted guidance regarding the sharing of medical information if a member becomes infected with COVID-19, including coordination with the CDC and health officials, and a temporary waiver of some HIPAA sanctions.
- Chapters and Elections: The Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life (CICLSAL) provided an update on postponing elections and chapters. As of April 2, 2020 until notified, general and provincial chapters may be postponed. Once a new date has been established, notify CICLSAL. In addition, “the mandates of the major superiors and their respective councils are extended until the next celebration of the chapters.” Read the letter here. In addition, RCRI (Resource Center for Religious Institutes) has prepared an FAQ regarding postponing elections and chapters scheduled during this time, as well as additional COVID-related resources on the public part of its website, under "latest news" so the material is available to non-members as well as members. We thank RCRI for this service.
- Stimulus checks and members of religious institutes (RCRI)
- Immigration: The Catholic Legal Immigration Network (CLINIC) has prepared a resource page with the latest updates on government agencies during this time.
- Ministering with Young People: The National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry has posted a full page of resources and ideas for those working with minors during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Video Conferencing Options: For virtual conference calls and gatherings, consider Zoom (limited free option available), GoToMeeting, Microsoft Teams, or Skype.
Many parishes and other ministries have jumped into livestreaming and posting reflections for the faithful. The simplest version is a message using your mobile phone – either live or posted online. These practical resources will walk you step-by-step into online ministry.
- Digitally engaging parishioners through the pandemic, Facebook Live, suggested equipment and more (Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee)
- Step-by-step guide from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Facebook Live (mobile phone and Facebook account needed): watch this video
- YouTube (if you have fewer than 1,000 followers on your channel, you will need to use a webcam for live video): YouTube instructions
- Suggested equipment and resources from the Archdiocese of Washington
- The Catholic Apostolate Center has created a resource page, and the director, Fr. Frank Donio, SAC, has offered the expertise of the CAC team for CMSM members who have questions about this.
Health Care Resources & Ethical Guidance
- Catholic Health Association COVID-19 website includes guidance on ethical directives for treatment of COVID-19 patients and in times of scarce resources, a webinar on palliative care during this pandemic, and other information that may be helpful for communities managing health-related concerns within your own houses or your ministries.
- The Centers for Disease Control’s COVID-19 website has the latest information and guidance for the general population, faith communities, retirement centers, etc., in the United States, while the World Health Organization offers global guidance.
- Finally, the Diocese of Dallas is offering a downloadable flyer for hand-washing “Catholic style” – in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
Mental and Behavioral Health Resources
These treatment centers are offering resources and information in response to COVID-19. All remain available for consultation and support, with some adapting or changing programs in response to the evolving environment.
- Saint Luke Institute: resource page | short video on managing anxiety during coronavirus | Free helpline for any religious, clergy or seminarian during the pandemic: 888-526-9357
- Southdown: List of top tips and resources and message regarding service changes and support | Free helpline during the pandemic: 289-763-1478 (Toronto exchange)
- Saint John Vianney Center: resource page
- Guest House: resource page
In addition, a directory of online AA meetings may be found here.