The Gospels and Catholic Social Teaching clearly call us to welcome the stranger. Pope Francis has been illuminating the gifts of immigrants and the need for our attention to the issue. CMSM advocates for issues in accord with this tradition and toward a more just system of immigration.
CMSM Statements and Actions
- CMSM Media Release: Bank Campaign Moves JP Morgan Chase Out of Private Prisons - March 2019
- Catholic Day of Action with Dreamers: Feb. 27, 2018
- Letter to Congress on Dream Act and Bank Boycott (2017)
- CMSM Statement on Decision to End DACA (2017)
Partners and Resources
- Catholic Legal Immigration Network
- Hope Border Institute
- Interfaith Immigration Coalition
- Justice for Immigrants (JFI)
- Building Intercultural Competence for Ministers (working in the Church), United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- "Ministry for Immigrant Justice", 2014 study by CMSM and LCWR with the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA) that found considerable engagement on immigration, but also a need for increased education, particularly for CMSM, on human trafficking and a significant desire for related training, particularly in cross-cultural communication, language skills, and legal issues.
- Columban statement on sanctuary
- Sanctuary Pledge and Rapid Response Tool-Kit for Faith Allies
- 4 Ways Your Faith Community Can Prepare for Sanctuary