Over 400 Catholics, including a number of men religious – Franciscan, Columban, Jesuit, de la Salle Christian Brother, and others – participated in a Sept. 4 Day of Action in Newark, New Jersey, to protest federal government policies and practices that traumatize immigrant children, particularly the policy of child and family detention. Cardinal Joseph Tobin,… Read more »
Hundreds of Catholic leaders, including representatives of the Conference of Major Superiors of Men, gathered at the US Capitol in mid-July to demand an end to detention of immigrant children. Later, in an act of nonviolent civil disobedience, scores were arrested in the Russell Senate Office Building Rotunda while praying, singing, and chanting. CMSM member… Read more »
Renew the Face of the Earth: An Urgent Catholic Call to Energy Transition “Lord send out your spirit and renew the face of the Earth.” – Psalm 104 Following Pope Francis’ meeting on June 13-14, 2019, with major fossil fuel executives and investors at the Vatican, the Conference of Major Superiors of Men (CMSM) announced… Read more »
The Senate hearings this week have brought to the forefront the dignity of women. A statement developed by CMSM notes, “In collaboration with women, we must help to create space so that women are heard, can participate equally, and many more can become leaders. As Jesus lifted up the value of women in his cultural… Read more »
As the national board for the leaders of U.S. Catholic religious brothers and priests, we are called to discern wisely the signs of the times and to act courageously in our response. Gathering as a national assembly in St. Louis, MO this week, we continue to see the deep scars of racial injustice, white supremacy,… Read more »
The following statement regarding the separation of families upon entry at the U.S. border was released June 20, 2018: As Christians and Catholic religious leaders, our hearts are broken whenever our sisters and brothers suffer injustice. Many of us minister in border communities. We see the desperation of families fleeing violence and death in their… Read more »
The letter was signed by Pax Christi USA, a national Catholic peace organization, and groups representing religious men and women, including the Conference of Major Superiors of Men and Network, a Catholic social justice lobby. Other signers included the Franciscan Action Network, Maryknoll Office of Global Concerns, National Advocacy Center of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, USC Province of the Society of the Sacred Heart and the Institute Justice Team of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas.
We are moved by the anxiety and suffering of the Dreamers to escalate our accompaniment and our resistance to injustice, especially as the March 5th deadline approaches.
CMSM was a signatory to a recent statement signed by 751 leaders of Catholic organizations.
The greatest potential for peace making is the country’s rich heritage of community-led peace processes. The churches are well positioned to assist local communities coming together to resolve local conflicts and reflect on the larger conflict besetting the nation.
- CMSM Media Relase - Paranoia to Metanoia: Courageous Mercy Transforming Violence and Racism - 08-18-2016
- CMSM Media Release – Boycott Illegal Settlements – 3-30-2016
- CMSM Media Release – Statement on US Budget FY2017 – 2-11-2016
- CMSM Media Release - Criminal Justice Reform - 11-17-2015
- CMSM Media Release - National Assembly Passes Resolution: Cherish All of Creation - 8-10-2015 - View Full Resolution
- CMSM Media Release - Cherish All of Creation - Statement on Pope's Encyclical - 7-9-2015
- CMSM and LCWR Media Release: Pope Francis and Care for Creation - 6-18-2015
- Media Release: CMSM Statement on the Sentencing of Dzhokhar - 5-26-2015
- Media Release: Ferguson and Beyond: A Window into Our Human Quest - 12-10-2014
- Media Release: Holy Land Calls for Courageous Peacemaking - 07-31-2014
- Media Release: End the Bed Quota on Detention of Immigrants - 05-08-2014
- Media Release: Call for Restorative Justice Not the Death Penalty for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev - 2-19-2014
- CMSM Statement on Use of Chemical Weapons in Syria - 09-06-2013 (Related Media Release)
- CMSM Statement on Armed Drones - Media Release, 05-03-2013
- CMSM Statement on Immigration Reform Proposals, 02-04-2013
- 2012 CMSM Statement on Killings in Newtown, Connecticut (December)
- 2012 CMSM - LCWR Statement on Supreme Court and Arizona Immigration Law (June)