President Trump recently launched 59 cruise missiles at an air base in Syria in retaliation for an alleged chemical weapons attack within Syria. We, who are called to be Catholic religious leaders, mourn for all those that died in both of these incidents, and we denounce this use of violence which only exacerbates the habits and structures of violence.
On New Year’s Day, the village of Riimenze in Western Equatoria was the scene of intense fighting between the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (national army) and rebels, made up primarily of local men and boys “recruited” to defend their area. During the fighting, homes were looted and burned, sometimes with people in them. Over 5000 people from the village fled their homes and are sheltering at the parish in Riimenze, the site of the Solidarity Agricultural Training Project.
CMSM was one of fifteen Catholic organizations and religious institutes to endorse the petition.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials apprehended six men exiting a hypothermia shelter on February 8 at Rising Hope Mission Church in Alexandria, Virginia — violating ICE’s own policy not to conduct enforcement actions at or near “sensitive locations” like houses of worship. We, who are called to be Catholic religious leaders, are deeply troubled by the pattern of deportations of those seeking refuge who do not pose a “significant threat to national security and public safety.”
The Conference of Major Superiors of Men and Pax Christi International are among 15 major Christian organisations of different denominations that sent a briefing paper to all members of Congress and to the Trump Administration this morning, calling for US policies that promote peace, justice, and equality between Israelis and Palestinians.
SILVER SPRING (January 18, 2017). The Presidents of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR) and the Conference of Major Superiors of Men (CMSM) representing the elected leaders of more than 55,000 Catholic religious sisters, brothers, and priests sent a letter to President-Elect Donald Trump reminding him of the gift and responsibility of leadership. LCWR… Read more »
- CMSM Media Relase - Paranoia to Metanoia: Courageous Mercy Transforming Violence and Racism - 08-18-2016
- CMSM Media Release – Boycott Illegal Settlements – 3-30-2016
- CMSM Media Release – Statement on US Budget FY2017 – 2-11-2016
- CMSM Media Release - Criminal Justice Reform - 11-17-2015
- CMSM Media Release - National Assembly Passes Resolution: Cherish All of Creation - 8-10-2015 - View Full Resolution
- CMSM Media Release - Cherish All of Creation - Statement on Pope's Encyclical - 7-9-2015
- CMSM and LCWR Media Release: Pope Francis and Care for Creation - 6-18-2015
- Media Release: CMSM Statement on the Sentencing of Dzhokhar - 5-26-2015
- Media Release: Court Decision and Executive Action - 2-19-2015
- Media Release: Ferguson and Beyond: A Window into Our Human Quest - 12-10-2014
- Media Release: Holy Land Calls for Courageous Peacemaking - 07-31-2014
- Media Release: End the Bed Quota on Detention of Immigrants - 05-08-2014
- Media Release: Call for Restorative Justice Not the Death Penalty for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev - 2-19-2014
- CMSM Statement on Use of Chemical Weapons in Syria - 09-06-2013 (Related Media Release)
- CMSM Statement on Armed Drones - Media Release, 05-03-2013
- CMSM Statement on Immigration Reform Proposals, 02-04-2013
- 2012 CMSM Statement on Killings in Newtown, Connecticut (December)
- 2012 CMSM - LCWR Statement on Supreme Court and Arizona Immigration Law (June)