Resources for Accountability, Healing & Reconciliation
CMSM is committed to prevention, accountability, healing, and reconciliation.
Religious communities and institutes for consecrated life, as with all Church organizations, must ensure that children and young people who worship, study, or participate in activities sponsored by our communities do so in the safest and most secure setting possible and proactively ensure that those who have abused are prevented from causing further harm to others.
Since 2002, CMSM has worked through its members, the leaders of men religious institutes, to promote the protection of minors in men's religious communities, often partnering with organizations such as the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and Praesidium, the entity that provides accreditation for religious orders. This has resulted in national standards for safeguarding by men's religious institutes and monasteries; a National Advisory Council of recognized experts to advise CMSM; and continuing education.
- Statement - Union of Superiors General and International Union of Superiors General (February 2019)
- Protection of Minors in the Church - official Vatican website (February 2019 meeting)
- CMSM statement on abuse and healing (August 2018)
- Resources (safeguarding standards and key documents)
- Child Abuse Prevention Month
- CMSM History of Safeguarding Initiatives
CMSM Safeguarding Education (for members and their safeguarding teams)
- Conversations that Matter (training provided in partnership with the Jesuit Conference)
- Webinar series (registration information sent to CMSM members)