CMSM sponsors a Safeguarding Workshop each fall for CMSM members, their safeguarding team members, and their Review Board members, as well as fall and spring webinar series focused on different aspects of safeguarding. Other workshops may be offered during the year based upon interest and need. For more information about CMSM safeguarding education, please contact Tom Southard, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sixteenth Annual CMSM Safeguarding Workshop
October 26-28, 2020
Bethany Center, Lutz, Florida
As the Church continues to experience scrutiny of its safe environment programs, while struggling to address leadership accountability, CMSM maintains a commitment to offer in-depth dialogue to our members in the implementation of best practices in safeguarding. We will learn together how we can affirm what we are doing well, address the new challenges before us, and implement interventions to strengthen our responses and programs.
This year's workshop will offer three different tracks:
- Victim Assistance Coordinators
- Review Board leaders, members, and administrators
As always, we will bring together an experienced and knowledgeable team who will lead the discussion, as we explore the psychological, social, and spiritual aspects of safeguarding. Information has been emailed to CMSM members and safeguarding contacts provided to CMSM. The agenda and registration link is available to CMSM members and their teams by contacting Tom Southard, email@example.com.
2017 CMSM Pre-Assembly Workshop: "Model Procedures for Review Boards: A Practical Application"
Scottsdale, Arizona | August 1, 2017
Resources from the 2017 Pre-Assembly Workshop may be downloaded via the links below. Some files are password-protected, as noted. If you have any questions, please contact Marissa Thomas.
- Slides from the 2017 Pre-Assembly Workshop (password required)
- White Paper on Archdiocesan/Religious Review Boards by Sr. Sharon Euart, RSM
- Praesidium Online Training
- USCCB Index to Child Protection Resources
- USCCB Diocesan Review Board Resource Booklet
2016 CMSM Supervision Workshop on “The Evolving Challenges for Major Superiors and Supervisors”
San Antonio, Texas | Oct. 24-26, 2016
Resources from the 2016 Supervision Workshop may be downloaded via the links below. Some may be password-protected. Those who attended the 2016 Supervision Workshop received the password via email. If you have any questions, please contact Marissa Thomas.
- Introduction to the Topic (Dr. Monica Applewhite)
- Changing Needs of Our Elder Members: Inviting Conversation and Collaboration (Deacon Steven DeMartino)
- Reflections on Being in Leadership at Beginning and Early Years of the Sexual Abuse Crisis (Br. Daniel Dorsey)
- Hope and Healing Response Team Program Model: A Social Work Intervention for Clergy Abuse (Journal of Social Work Values and Ethics)
- Perspectives from Rome (Msgr. Robert Oliver)